[aprssig] APRS in Disaster area

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Sep 3 12:39:43 EDT 2005

Bob WB4APR wrote on 03/09/2005

> I hiked back home and in less than 30 minutes with
> my diminutive 14" bar saw had the limbs off and the trunk
> severed to where with the help of bystanders, we had
> the street cleared for traffic.  Before any of the 3
> neighbors reluctantly got their chain saws running.

I would view that as "free firewood" as well as helping clear the road so people could get in and out of the area. If the trees are down on power lines, you want to be very sure that the power is off and will stay off before touching them... e.g walk to the end of the block and actually see the fused disconnect hanging down and open, but I would still proceed assuming that the wires were still live.

I hear what others are saying about not getting in the way of authorities, but in big disasters, the people directly affected could be on their own for a few days. Sometimes it only takes one individual to take the bull by the horns and do something to help and others will then start helping themselves too. You made a very good point when you said...

> At some point the top down "authoritative" approach
> meets in the middle the progress being made from
> the bottom up by sentient self motivated individuals...
> "doing what needs to be done"...

Fortunately, "doing what needs to be done" is something that many hams excel at. What we have seen in New Orleans over the last few days has been an example of a situation bringing out the very best and the very worst in people.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH