[aprssig] APRS in Disaster area

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Sep 2 18:39:24 EDT 2005

>> Yes, of course, if they know how to, or have
>> better ideas about re-establishing the APRS
>> network, then of course folllow their lead.
>> But in most areas, only 2% of the HAM
>> population knows anything about APRS and
>> has no clue how to "instruct" its re-constitution.
>
>You missed the point, Bob.  In an emergency
>situation, it is the AUTHORITIES in charge, NOT
>the individual operators who decide what type
>of communications are to be used and how those
>communications are to be used.

Actually, I think we agree on all of this.  It
was the ham radio "authorities", then, that
I was offering the recommendations to about
how to best re-establish an APRS infrastructure.
As noted above, only 2% of HAM radio
operators (including many of the "authorities"
have no experience with APRS.

My offering was to educate who-ever is in the
"authoritative" position to make it happen, on
ideas on how to reconstruct an ad-hoc APRS
network.   Did not intend for it to be implying
ham radio anarchy which seems to be how it
is  being intepreted by some...

Bob