[aprssig] New Orleans APRS digi still on the air

N0YXV - Stan Coleman n0yxv at gihams.org
Thu Sep 1 23:28:23 EDT 2005

I'd have to agree. It's very easy to point fingers at people that should
have done this or didn't do that. Hind sight is always 20/20. Watching
some of the news reports tonight it seams to me that the victims don't
really understand the magnitude of how much damage has been done. There
is no magic wand that will fix this disaster over night.

In any good disaster plan things will go wrong...the key is how creative
can we become to over come the problems not seen. I'd have to echo Ray's
statement, "I'd like to be better prepared than I am, as would most of
us." I don't know of too many disaster plans that included what to do
when the people you are trying to help start shooting at you. Can you
ever really be 100% prepared for a disaster? I don't know about you but
I can always think of one more thing to add to my disaster kit.

One thing that can help is having extra equipment on hand. That was the
lesion we learned around here this Field Day when we set up. We knew we
needed to update our disaster equipment but until we got our hands on it
and used it we really didn't know how unusable it was. In reality no
matter how much you equipment you stock pile it will really only help
those around you and not yourself. Any supplies stockpiled in New
Orleans wouldn't have been of much help if those supplies either got
blown away with the wind or flooded by water, or not reachable due to
flooding.