[aprssig] Help setting up Kenwood TM D700 please

Vic Fraenckel victorf at windreader.com
Thu Sep 1 20:54:10 EDT 2005

I want to use my new D700 to capture tracking data from a group of several manned gas balloons next month. They will all be carrying APRS Trackers. I am quite intimidated when trying to set up the radio. I plan to use it to drive APRSPoint (I am a registered user). Could someone give me some info on how to set up my radio and get it interfaced to AP? I have the cabling under control. I have the output from the radio going thru a Serial to USB converter into my laptop. If I run a terminal program properly setup (1200B, 8N1) should I be able  to see the APRS packets? When I run my GPS35 output thru the converter into a terminal program, I can see the NMEA stream so I am sure the converter works (COM4). The same is true with VIsualGPS

I have spent some time googling without much success. Perhaps I am not forming my search query correctly.

Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
victorf ATSIGN windreader DOT com
KC2GUI

      Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
                               Read the WIND