[aprssig] New Orleans APRS digi still on the air

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Sep 1 19:51:47 EDT 2005

>Don't amateurs, ... have backup power...?...
>It's not difficult to have a basic APRS system
>running indefinitely on alternate energy sources.

That's why I love APRSdos on my old 386 laptop.
The laptop draws 250 mA and the Hard Drive
sleeps.  The HT it is connected to draws 50 mA
and the TNC draws 30.  Total power is about
350 mA at 12 volts or so.   ALways on line 24/7.

Why dont you see it? because after 5 years, a
direct lightening hit took out the TXD of the
serial port this summer and I cant send, only
receive...  need to go get another $5 laptop
I guess...  This is second $5 laptop in 10 years.
But that is the high cost of being prepared...

Bob