[aprssig] New Orleans APRS digi still on the air

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 17:57:33 EDT 2005

In this area, all of the local radio stations were swallowed up over
the years by a single company.  The individual transmitter sites were
maintained, but the radio studios were consolidated into a single
building using remote RF links to the transmitter sites.  When
hurricane Isabel struck us a couple of years ago, the transmitter
sites survived and operated on generator, but the generator at the
studio building failed.  As a result, all the local radio stations
were off the air, even though the transmitter sites were up and
running.

Perhaps something like this is what is happening in New Orleans?

A.J.

On 9/1/05, Rich Garcia <k4gps at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> That is quite interesting since many many news reports state that all radio
> and TV in the area is out of service.
>
> Rich

A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com