[aprssig] Question about new-paradigm digis and "WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2" paths

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 1 10:13:51 EDT 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Keith - VE7GDH wrote:

> James KG7HH wrote on 31/08/2005
>
> > However, what I'm seeing is
> > KG7HH-1>APRS,WIDE1-1,NEWDIG*,WIDE2-1>my message
>
> Hmmm... I wonder if you got to NEWDIG* via a WIDE1-1 digi that didn't identify itself? Then again, there's no asterisk by the WIDE1-1.

Doesn't have to be!  Those asterisks are human-readable
representations of the "has-been_digipeated" bits.  Each digipeater
slot has one of these bits.

Some TNC's show you an asterisk for each bit that is set, others
show you only the last one.  All of the digipeaters to the left are
also marked as used in the header, you just can't always tell this
from the human-readable representation of the header.

The binary header does carry along this info and all of the
has-been-digipeated bits to the left of the one that _you_ see
marked will also be set.

Confusing I know, particularly because command-mode TNC
representations differ among TNC brands.  If you stick to KISS mode
then you can let the software worry about it for you.