[aprssig] Alinco DR-135T - EJ41U internal modem

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 31 16:56:55 EST 2005

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Yes, dont operate in KISS mode.
> ALL APRS software should work in normal
> converse mode.

Yea right...  If you want more problems between your TNC and
computer, you bet!

*) You open yourself up to filtering out some control characters
   used by the Mic-E protocol if you use a command-mode TNC, unless
   you're very careful.

*) Same as above goes for some of the telemetry packets that are
   possible via the spec.

*) You must set up the TNC periodically to make sure none of your
   setups got lost through power outages and such.  For instance we
   set up the unproto path and the callsign each time we transmit in
   Xastir, what a pain!

*) You can't do software digipeating using a command-mode TNC.

*) You can't do OpenTrac protocol using a command-mode TNC.

*) AGWPE protocol is so close to KISS protocol that you might as
   well call it that, so if you've implemented KISS in your software
   it's easier to implement AGWPE support.

*) Same as above goes Linux AX.25 kernel-mode interfaces, they
   basically talk KISS protocol.

I won't run in anything _other_than_ KISS mode unless there's no
other option.

I'm in the middle of adding KISS-mode support to SmartPalm right
now.  I should have it working before the week is out if things go
well.  If not, perhaps the following week.