[aprssig] KPC3+ from GPS to TERMINAL

Mark Saurman vo1one at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 11:49:21 EST 2005

On 10/31/05, Phillip B. Pacier <ad6nh at arrl.net> wrote:
> Are there any tricks for getting a KPC3+ to go from GPS mode to TERMINAL
> mode?  The +++ never seems to work for me and I always have to resort to
> a hardware reset to get the TNC out of GPS mode.  Thanks!

Turn the TNC off then back on and send three CTRL-C's.  If you are
using Hyperterminal with Windows, I've learned that you have to
establish communications with a unit first I suppose because of some
auto-sensing parameters that are only set once receiving data back
from the unit.  To get around this, after setting the correct baud
rate and 8N1, I short out pins 2 and 3 on the DB-25 that would plug
into the TNC and type a couple of characters until I can see them on
the screen.  Once you have done this, you can plug it into the TNC and
be able to get it out of GPS mode.  Save your session settings when
you exit hyperterminal.  That way, you won't have to short the pins
out every time you want to reconfigure your TNC that's in GPS mode.

73,
Mark VO1ONE