[aprssig] Airborne APRS

Ken Brown W2KB at comcast.net
Sat Oct 29 16:25:14 EDT 2005

I've been using a D7 in a plastic HT holder with large suction cups on the
left window of the Cessna Cardinal (very slightly larger than a 172, and no
wing strut) I purchased a few months ago.  Use the internal battery, Diamond
antenna and a Garmin III+ on a yoke mount.  Works fine.

There is a spare com antenna on the belly with a BNC plug on a length of
coax in the glove box, intended to use an aviation HT as a backup for the
two com radios should they fail.  One of these days I intend to put in a
D700 (with Velcro to avoid the FAA's requirements for a permanent
installation) and use a matcher to the com antenna.  (I don't want to cut
the antenna shorter so it can be used with my Icom backup aviation HT).

The D7 works fine, and APRS stations can be displayed on the GPS.  Here in
very APRS intensive northern New Jersey, I did have to turn off the DCD or
it would go for several minutes (10 miles or more) without a beacon.

73, ---Ken W2KB   N16019