[aprssig] > 1. Airborne APRS (William McKeehan)

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Fri Oct 28 14:16:40 EDT 2005

The desire for an airborne tracker results from the first launch. They did not
get enough helium in the balloon and it nearly became a floater. It traveled a
long way and took hours to make the trip; missing the predicted landing zone
by miles (about 100 if I remember correctly). The only onboard APRS beacon was
a Pocket tracker on 144.39 - the number of packets received was very low, then
the GPS stoped working after a certain height was achieved. There were several
points along the chase that we thought we had lost it, then, out of nowhere,
somone would pickup a packet and the chase was on again. It made for a very
exciting (and long) chase! It also made them nervous about loosing their
payload. Should another flight give similar performance/problems, they were
thinking that an airplane flying over the area where they think it may have
landed would have a better chance of hearing the 250mw Pocket Tracker than
vehicles driving around it.

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU