[aprssig] Ideal Radio Question

Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV aprs at almostanywhere.com
Fri Oct 28 10:31:12 EDT 2005

On Oct 27, 2005, at 9:12 AM, Charles J. Miller wrote:

> While I know this is a loaded question, but is there a radio that
> serves as an "ideal" digi station that would have a data-type
> port?  I just would rather avoid futzing with volume control/
> speaker output, mic plug interfaces, etc.

The easiest to use off-the-shelf amateur equipment I have found are
the FT-1500, FT-2600, and the DR-135T. Unfortunately only the DR-135T
is still a production model. The nice thing about the FT-2600 and the
DR-135T is that they have a DB9F on the back of the radio and they
are wired the same. The FT-1500 has the DIN-6 connector that has
become a standard. All three radios have been available on the used
market for about $85-$125. lately their scarcity is causing prices to
rise some. Whenever I can find one for $100 I snatch it up even if I
don't have a current project for one. I like to have spares ready in
case a site goes down or a new sight becomes available that I need to
act on right away. Other wise recycled commercial gear works fine. I
am currently using an old Regency and not as old Maxon radios as well
as an FT-1500 for my digis at the moment. I plan to put either a
FT-2600 or DR-136T at a new site next month.

Bruce

--
Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV
Trustee for NT4UX