[aprssig] KPC-3+ Trackers (not blind)... MODIFIED: (or DUMB)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Oct 27 19:47:07 EDT 2005

>>> "Doug Ferrell" <kd4moj at kd4moj.org> 10/27/05 7:34 PM >>>
>>For what it is worth.  KPC-3+ dumb GPS trackers
>>CAN display all other APRS stations on an attached
>>GPS just like the D7 and D700 do. [using]
>... a feature built into APRSdos...
>
>HHmmm that statement (dumb tracker) bothers
>me a little when referred to a full fledged TNC.....
>but to me a KPC3/+ connected to a computer
>for messaging is not dumb.

When it is connected that way, it is not called a
"dumb tracker"...

> I get tired of sending messages to hams traveling
>my area ... only to find they can't receive my
>message....
>
> but I'd like to see the devices put into categories
>correctly. Just my opinion of course............

That is exactly why we have that category called
dumb-trackers.  It refers to any tracker that
only transmits and does not do messaging nor
any other display of "received" APRS data.
As you say, you are frustrated when you cannot
talk to one... that is why we call it "dumb".

When a KPS-3 or any other TNC is connected to
a computer or laptop, it is no longer a dumb
tracker but a "full-up" APRS system (unless it
runs some "dumb" software, but I wont go there...

<wink>
Bob