[aprssig] USB GPS receiver

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Oct 27 14:55:09 EDT 2005

wa7nwp at jnos.org wrote:

>> USB devices WILL ONLY WORK WITH A PC!   USB is a totally "PC-centric"
>> protocol.  There is NO PRACTICAL WAY to make an external USB device
>> work with a serial port on TNCs, TinyTraks, D700s, or anything else
>> OTHER than a USB port on a PC.
>

> It's not an absolute.  They can build a USB reader in a mini-fm
> transmitter and sell it for $25 at Costco.  Not the one in the link
> but similar.
>
>   http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=204+0172
>
> No doubt a thumb drive is simpler then a serial port but still it
> proves that it is possible to build embedded devices that do USB.

Neat!

I bet this device has the generic "mass storage class" USB device driver
hard-coded into it's firmware (rather than the vendor/model-specific USB
device ids that virtual serial port devices require.)

(Flash drives normally don't normally require vendor-specific drivers;
just plug 'em into any Win2K or  XP machine and they automagically work
using the existing generic mass-storage device driver that also
accomodates external hard disks, some digicams,  USB-interface external
floppies, etc. )

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths