[aprssig] Ideal Radio Question

Charles J. Miller nsaamiller at nvc.net
Thu Oct 27 10:12:30 EDT 2005

Group-

I've been lurking for some time here, and operate APRS mobile using a
D700.  I want to set up a digipeater base station with the possibility
of I-gate.  I have looked at a number of the new single band radios that
are out there, but it seems none have a dedicated "packet" or "data"
port, like the FT-1500 that I use as another APRS mobile.

While I know this is a loaded question, but is there a radio that serves
as an "ideal" digi station that would have a data-type port?  I just
would rather avoid futzing with volume control/speaker output, mic plug
interfaces, etc.

Thanks!
charles
w0cjm