[aprssig] PCSAT2 Satellite Data Relay Channel

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Oct 25 15:32:50 EDT 2005

Scott,
Our design for a buoy to last 2 years will
plan on powering up the GPS once an hour
for 2 minutes and then power up the
KPC-3 TNC/Radio for 10 seconds or long enough
to send out a posit and a telemetry packet and
then back off again.  We figure we can get
2 years out of a dozen or so lantern batteries
stuffed into an 8' piece of 4" PVC pipe.  Or
something like that...

Bob

>>> scott at opentrac.org 10/25/05 12:20 AM >>>
> for linking their data via satellite.  Previous examples have
> been the amateur WX stations placed in the Arcitc and
> Antarctic, plus floating ocean buoy experiments.

That's good to hear, Bob.  I was just thinking the other day about how I
could put together a solar-powered bouy with a string of temperature sensors
to toss overboard next time I'm out on a scuba trip to the islands.  It's
probably not practical to have a small embedded processor do the orbit
calculations to figure out when ISS is going to be overhead, though.  And as
big and low as it is, I imagine the keps would be out of date too fast
anyway.

Who's done bouys before?  Being right here on the coast maybe I could get
one of those solar balloons and do a combined balloon/bouy project.  =]

Scott
N1VG