[aprssig] AUTO-REPLY messages are just QRM!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Oct 23 23:16:09 EDT 2005

Please everyone, turn off those stupid AUTOREPLY
messages.  Unless you have a SPECIFIC thing to
say at a specific point in time to someone you are
expecting to send you a message and you had to step out
for a minute, then otherwise it is just QRM and serves
no purpose in most cases.  The ACK will say just as
much as 98% of the autoreplies I see on the air.

Turn them off please.  Unless there is a very specific
content of immediate need.
Bob

>>> "Herb Gerhardt" <hgerhardt at wavecable.com> 10/23/05 1:39 PM >>>
This does not appear to be a WinAPRS problem.  WinAPRS can only be set for
sending any message a maximum of 9 times.  At that point it will cease
sending the message or auto reply message unless the operator takes manual
keystroke action or the desired station that the message is addressed to all
of a sudden is received by the sending station and the sending station
computer is still on-line.  If that is the case, the sending computer will
attempt to send it 9 more times.  I know, clear as mud but I hope you can
follow the sequence.

I have no idea how any message could be sent over 1000 times by any program
and keep sending it whether it receives an ACK or not.  I believe there was
an older version of XASTIR that did try to keep sending a message until it
received an ACK but that problem was fixed in the later versions of XASTIR
several months ago.

Also keep in mind that APRS is a non-verified packet system.  So, just
because your station is sending out the ACK does not mean that the other
station is receiving it.  Just like you might be receiving a reply to your
message without ever having received the ACK for your message.  Lots of
transmissions die in collisions and do not make it to their desired station.

Seems to me like someone has something set up in their computer that keeps
resending the auto reply message.  Any other ideas on this topic?

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info