[aprssig] Fwd: macaprs

Ron Cluster rcluster at rgisp.com
Sun Oct 23 17:28:46 EDT 2005

how did you get it to connect to the Internet for a feed?

Well, it's been a while. I think I had to create a textfile with the server
address and port in it. Copied the one that came with the program and
changed the copy to what I wanted. Restart the program and then I could
choose that server. Pretty clunky, just like WinAPRS.

Also what maps did you use with it?

I think it's designed to use the downloadable tiger map data. I tried one,
seemed like a huge amount of work if you wanted street level detail for the
US and Canada. Not to mention the storage space and download time. Doesn't
support the newest version of Precision Mapping (Version 7).  It also can
use the old DosAPRS, WinAPRS, MacAPRS simple line maps.

One more thing I can't find the carbon release anymore.

Can't help you there. It took me about a week of playing with it to decide
that I didn't need to waste anymore time on it.

If I was going to run APRS on my Mac, I would run UI-View32 (Donationware)
with Precision Mapping 7 ($50) under virtual PC (Don't recall the price). I
did a month long test on an older Mac laptop running OS 10.3.7. No serial
port so I had to use a USB to Serial converter (Keyspan, the only way to
go). TNC was a KPC3+ v8.3 with a homemade splitter cable that connects the
radio and gps to same DB9 connector on the TNC. It worked perfectly, with
the added benefit of being able to just restart the Windows emulator if
Windows crashed, which it did a couple of times. Obviously at home, you
wouldn't need the gps so you could do this with just about any TNC. If it
supports KISS, that's even better because then UI-View32 has the capability
of becoming a fill-in WIDE1-1 digi or a complete "new paradigm" WIDEn-N
digi.

The only reason I'm not doing this is my laptop is a Windows box, and I have
a dedicated APRS/Weather station Windows PC at home, plus my Mac is pretty
busy with video editing, music and photo work.

73.....Ron.....AC7TK.....(-9 Mobile, -2 Wx, -1 Work)
UI-View32 iGate in Eugene, OR