[aprssig] AEA TNCs and NEWn-N

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Oct 22 19:35:11 EDT 2005

lists.nospam at bpsmicro.com wrote:

>Are any of the AEA TNCs (specifically the PK232MBX but the question applies
>to all) capable of being run as NEWn-N digis? It seems they're not UIDIGI
>compatible, and I can't find any information to tell me whether they can be
>"persuaded" to work properly as WIDEn-N digis.
>
>If the answer is No, then I can tell the owner to hunt around for something
>else (preferably a TNC-2).
>
>Thanks;
>Brad
>VE3BSM

No AEA TNC has APRS-aware firmware. They completely lack support for
modern APRS digipeating; particularly N-n decrementing, callsign
substitution, and duplicate packet suppression.    Furthermore, the
PK-232, while having an excellent modem, is a real power hog that runs
hot and consumes over 1AMP continuously.   This can be a real issue if
you are trying to run digi sites in remote locations on non-grid power,
or on battery backup during emergencies.

All you can do wtth AEA TNCs is either configure them as a dumb home
fill-in digi;  i.e.  simple RELAY (old paradigm) or WIDE1-1 (new
paradigm) by setting MYALIAS to one or the other of these two paths
                                                            --OR--
Place them in KISS mode and allow an external computer program (DigiNED,
UIview, etc.) to provide the WIDEn-N "smarts".

An interesting alternative to an old TNC2 with UIdigi firmware,  at less
than half the cost of a new KCP3+,   is the low-cost TNC-X kit with  the
new piggyback  X-Digi add-on module.   X-Digi is designed from the
ground up to support the new paradigm N-n digipeating conventions.
Total cost is about $70 for the two kits.  The total current consumption
at 12VDC is less than 30mA compared to the 350mA or so a TNC2 consumes
(or the 1000mA a PK232 consumes).     Details at
    http://www.tnc-x.com

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths