[aprssig] TH-D7A

Rahn whiskey7doa at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 17:49:31 EDT 2005

Brian Riley wrote:

> One of our resident club (Radio Amateurs of Northern Vermont)
> curmudgeons refers to this class of antenna as the "Eyepoker 2000".
>

> cheers ... 73 de brian  riley,  n1bq , underhill center, vermont
>   <n1bq at wulfden.org>

We always called those types of antenna's nose pickers. I guess it's the
same principle.

OK, today we had a mass casualty drill at the airport. The local ham
club was to provide communications support for the rescue teams on
scene. Here's how my D7A preformed. Most of the other hams were staged
farther away from the scene and they were complaining that their radios
were being desensed by the comercial rigs in the area. I was at the
triage site relaying info to the hospital about patients. I was in the
middle of it, usually 10-15 radios nearby on firefighters and ambulance
crews, fire trucks, pumpers, tenders, etc.... The Kenwood never once
desensed. Other hams said that you couldn't talke across the airport on
UHF because of the other interference. I was talking across the airport
on UHF Low power to get to a crossband repeater that linked me to the
hospital. I was also talking on low power to the EOC through a repeater
that was 15 or so miles away. Never once had a problem with the
exception of my quick keying and not allowing the crossbander to come
up. I would say.... well, I think it beat most of the other HT's there
hands down.

Oh, and last night I was on a battery pack with 4 AA's that were about
half dead and still getting APRS packets through to the Space Station. I
can be found at http://map.findu.com/w7doa-1

Yes, I am very impressed with this new little radio of mine. Couldn't
ask for a better one, IMHO.

--
Rahn Abbott
W7DOA