[aprssig] PACCOMM TNC & WIDEn-N clarification

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Thu Oct 20 19:46:19 EDT 2005

>So if I'm reading this correctly, anybody trying to go through this digi
>as their first hop *must* have WIDE1-1 at the beginning of the path, or
>else the paccomm will ignore them. I'm assuming if that's true, then in
>the "old days" this would also ignore all packets without "RELAY" at the
>beginning.

Correct.

>Can anybody confirm that my understanding is correct, or educate me as to
>why I'm seeing what I'm seeing? Is the next best viable option to look at
>getting UIDIGI PROMs burnt for these digis? Is UIDIGI a better option?

I'd say so. We run this on a lot of TNC's in TX. If it's a tiny-2, or
micropower, UIDIGI just drops in. A PacComm TNC -220 may not run UIDIGI,
I'm not sure. But the majority of that brand will.

UI Digi has the advantage that after a power putage, all settings are
retained - they are in the ROM. In fact, we remove the batteries from our
digis. One less thing to go wrong.

       ) )    de WA2MCT Mark
      ( (     Echolink 99190      Grid Square EL17HQ
       ) )    You will be assimilated... oooh, coffee!!
    _|****|   http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?wa2mct-7 Home
   ( |    |   http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=wa2mct-9 Mobile
    `|____|   wa2mct at mearle.com  wa2mct at juno.com  wa2mct at arrl.net