[aprssig] N1547C tracker

Ron McCoy rmccoylist at blueantservices.com
Thu Oct 20 14:07:40 EDT 2005

You may well be right. Those people would be the moral equivalent of the
HAMs that use every opportunity to complain about any mention of the
Internet in an Amateur Radio context or (present company excepted ;) HAM's
who would rather talk about regulations than RF.

On the other hand, is certain success required for us to try something?
Especially something that would use our technical knowledge to provide a
service that didn't exist before? If that were the criterion, we'd be
talking about an IPO, not a hobby.

It seems that the interest and the "doing" are what is more important.
"Let's try it be 'cause it's neat and we can."

Now being a backpacker, I would welcome a device at the trailhead that was
_not_ government provided that offered a little extra assurance that my
friendly neighborhood SAR guys would be looking in the right place if I got
in trouble. On the other hand, I wouldn't like it if it was somewhere out on
the trail itself. We already accept all of the signage, registration forms,
maps, etc. at the trailhead. It makes stepping off into the wilderness just
a bit sweeter.