[aprssig] N1547C tracker

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu Oct 20 14:01:38 EDT 2005

On Oct 20, 2005, at 1:48 PM, AE5PL Lists wrote:

> Re-read Part 97 about automatically controlled stations.  Please
> point out to me where a 1200 bps AFSK data transmission using FM on
> 144.39 which is not responding to an interrogation is allowed.

Ummm, maybe here in the section you quoted:

> (b) A station may be automatically controlled while transmitting a
> RTTY or data
> emission on the 6 m or shorter wavelength bands, and on the
> 28.120-28.189 MHz,
> 24.925-24.930 MHz, 21.090-21.100 MHz, 18.105-18.110 MHz,
> 14.0950-14.0995 MHz,
> 14.1005-14.112 MHz, 10.140-10.150 MHz, 7.100-7.105 MHz, or
> 3.620-3.635 MHz
> segments.
> (c) A station may be automatically controlled while transmitting a
> RTTY or data
> emission on any other frequency authorized for such emission types
> provided
> that:
> (1) The station is responding to interrogation by a station under
> local or
> remote control; and
> (2) No transmission from the automatically controlled station
> occupies a
> bandwidth of more than 500 Hz.

So, at 6 meters and above, a station may be automatically controlled.
Perhaps you missed that section c applies to all frequencies OTHER
than those listed in b. In other words, an interrogated station
occupying less than 500 Hz is allowed on any frequency (that allows
RTTY/data)!

Steve K4HG