[aprssig] N1547C tracker

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu Oct 20 11:20:39 EDT 2005

On Oct 20, 2005, at 10:59 AM, James wrote:

> This has been talked about many times before, the synapses is that
> a control operator must be in the vicinity of the transmitter. It
> is stated in the rules.

But the rules also allow for automatically controlled operation,
which is exactly what a tracker is. You are trying to apply the wrong
section of the rules.

> Lets take a parade or a the MS150 or some event, and a tracker is
> installed in a vehicle that is a non ham, is this legal?

Absolutely, as an automatically controlled station. The requirement
is that operation cease when ordered by the engineer in charge. There
is no requirement that the cessation occur via amateur radio means.

> Have most of us handed our non licensed wife, kids, friends and /or
> mistresses a HT when out in the field and run simplex, sure we
> have. Is this legal?
>
> It is what is called the "Grey Area".

Nothing grey about this, it is completely illegal. I have never done
it. Just because you have done it and yet haven't been caught does
not make it grey. When you push a PTT button, you are controlling a
transmitter. When you flip power on a tracker though, it is the
automatic controller that determines the transmit instant, not the
power switch.

> The issue here is not the grey area, the issue here is a non ham in
> control of a ham transmitter thousands of miles away, is a cell
> phone considered a control link?
>
> Is it legal to have a non amateur device controlling a amateur device?

It is not a control link, which has very specific meaning under Part
97. It is a means to cease operation if you should be notified to do
so by the EIC.

Steve K4HG