[aprssig] D700 as a digi

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at jnos.org
Wed Oct 19 20:56:27 EDT 2005

>>Wouldn't that be a hard coded TEMP1-1 to function
>>as an alternate to  WIDE1-1?
>
> No, not at all.
>
> 1) Because you dont need an alternative to WIDE1-1
> since it always works and works well.  And can be
> turned on or off from the front panel.

Ok.  So the difference is the D700's set up to be TEMPn-N have to be
preconfigured from a PC just as if they're being put in place as a full
WIDEn-N system.  It's totally separate from being an WIDE1-1 fill in.

For this to work, wouldn't the PC programmed TEMPn-N have to be totally
separate from the front panel set TEMP1-1.   A D700 would be full time
TEMPn-N and user enabled as WIDE1-1.

> 2) The idea is to have a TEMPn-N system ready to
> go at a moments notice by ANY D700 mobile that
> arrives on the scene and then to have packets
> via HIS digi go multiple hops out via other TEMPn-N
> digis when more than one hop is needed or the
> rest of the network has died.
>
> 3) The advantage is that TEMPn-N will be ALWAYS
> ON and always available, meaning you dont have
> to have a lapotop to turn it on in an emergency

To complete the chaos, how about a special ICON or status comment that
shows these permanent TEMP systems...

> 4) On FIELD-DAY when we are required to use
> NO existing infrastructure, we dont have to do
> anything except CQ VIA TEMP7-7 and the ad-hoc
> network is there already...  just like it should be
> in real live...

I wonder if they'll put a more realistic spin on FD next year
considering all the events this year.

Bill