[aprssig] Question about low power APRS in Los Angeles area

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 19 19:37:25 EDT 2005

On behalf of Courtney N5BF, I am forwarding this for comments and potential
answers.  I've inserted some additional information in the middle (in
square brackets) to clarify certain local aspects.  Here's some background
geographical information too:

The JPL Amateur Radio Club (JPLARC, W6VIO) has a 220 and 440 repeater on
Cerro Negro, which is a hill that has a view of downtown LA as well as La
Canada. Coverage map at:
http://wr6jpl.ampr.org/cn_lcf.html
We also have a 2m site up on the JPL Mesa Antenna range above the lab.
Coverage map is at: http://wr6jpl.ampr.org/jpl_mesa.html
And, the references to 180 refer to a 9 story building at the West end of
the lab where we have a shack on the roof with some UHF and VHF equipment
(and a network connection)
If you look at the picture here:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/about_JPL/images/jpl-browse.jpg
Bldg 180 is the tall slab-like building at the left side of the picture
with vertical white stripes.  That picture also shows the Mesa antenna
range along the ridgeline directly behind the lab.

The N6EX repeater is some 5 miles to the east.