[aprssig] N1547C Aeronautical Mobile

Phil Reed preed at dnaco.net
Wed Oct 19 16:55:10 EDT 2005

N0YXV - Stan Coleman wrote:

>>Andrew Rich wrote:
>>
>>>My 2cents worthe
>>
>>Comments intermixed.
>>

>>>If this sort of traffic leaks to another country, how are they to
>>>treat an aeronautical callsign on a ham system ?
>>
>>Depends. How do they handle it now? Ham signals don't stop at
>>the border.
>

> Not all countries use the same frequency.

If I'm in my country, transmitting properly according to my country's
amateur radio rules, then the other country's rules are not my primary
concern.

>>>I am all for it, just use a ham callsign as the source, and use the
>>>comment field "N1547C" in the comments
>>>

>>Why? The TNC could be transmitting the ham callsign in morse
>>tones every 9.5 minutes; that form of ID would never be
>>picked up by listening TNCs or the APRS infrastructure, yet
>>it would still be perfectly legal according to the FCC rules.
>>There is no requirement that the ID must be in the From:
>>field of the APRS packet.
>

> If you use the Morse code approach in an area where the system is
> already flooded with packets you might get some irate people. Your right
> the APRS network wouldn't see the Morse code but it could block APRS
> packets from getting through.

No worse than transmitting an AX.25 beacon every 9.5 minutes with a
station ID -- no other APRS packet would get through during that time
either. A 20 WPM Morse burst with a callsign would be no longer in
duration than the beacon packet.

--
                                 ...phil / W8SCA

GnuPG Public Key: http://www.moyen.org/pubkey.html
GnuPG Key ID: 0x45ee5d85
Fingerprint: BC40 B55C 8792 FF7F 2969 32D7 D6B5 7ACD 45EE 5D85