[aprssig] How to set up a radio

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Oct 19 16:10:41 EDT 2005

> I need to know if there is a way to use radios that do not have built in
> TNC's or serial outputs. Specifically I have a Yaesu FT-2400 that is a

Yes!  Most stations don't use those.  In fact, all of the radios I'm aware
of with built-in TNCs (Kenwood TM-D700, TH-D7, Alinco DR-135TP) suck for
digi operation.  You're definitely better off using an external TNC.

If you're running an IGate and will have a computer dedicated to it, you'll
get the most flexibility by running the digi software on the computer too.
I'd suggest digi_ned for that, but if you're new to all this it might be a
bit much to jump into.

> radio. Now, can I, somehow, hook a TNC to it, maybe through the mic jack,
> to make it an APRS station? I don't have any stations here to look

If you couldn't use old junk hardware for APRS, APRS wouldn't exist!  My
IGate uses an old Alinco DR-112 with a custom cable to connect to the
speaker and mic jacks.  It's also got a homebrew parallel port interface so
I can press the channel up/down buttons remotely and QSY the station for
satellite passes when I'm bored at work.  =]

> to be getting a TNC this week from another ham operator. It's supposed to
> be a Katronics.... I'd have to look at the model to see what it is but it
> should work. I just need to figure out how to put the two together.

KPC-3+ is probably the most popular.  You can set it up as a perfectly
capable digi without a PC.  9612+ also, and I use an older KPC-3 myself, in
KISS mode.  Really, anything that'll do KISS will work if you've got a PC.

Scott
N1VG