> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Transmitting data to a hot

w2pi at optonline.net w2pi at optonline.net
Wed Oct 19 14:44:23 EDT 2005

This has been covered here many times over the years... but here goes once again...

Unattended (automatic control) transmission of one-way telemetry is permitted under the US FCC amateur rules.

With respect to one-way transmissions of weather information:

97.3(a)(45) defines "telemetry" as "a one-way transmission of measurements at a distance from the measuring instrument."

97.111(b)(7) explicitly permits one-way transmission of telemetry information.

As for unattended transmitters:
97.3(a)(6) defines automatic control as "The use of devices and procedures for control of a station when it is transmitting so that complaince with the FCC Rules is achieved without the control operator being present at a control point."

97.109(d) states that "When a station is being automatically controlled, the control operator need not be at the control point...Automatic control must cease ipon notification by a District Dierector that the station is transmitting improperly..."

Under 97.221(b), "A station may be automatically controlled while transmitting RTTY or data emissions on the 6 m or shorter wavelength bands..."

I'm not a lawyer (and I don't play one on TV), but these rules tell me that:

1. Using an amateur radio transmitter to transmit weather data (or the position of an aircraft, for that matter) is a permited one-way transmission. (One way means there does not have to be an intended recipient.)

2. It is permitted to build a tracker that has built in identification and put it in a place or vehicle that is not attended by a licensed amateur, as long as you can get to it and turn it off if it creates a problem.

(flame resistant clothing on)

73,
Paul W2PI