[aprssig] APRS Field Events

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Oct 17 20:49:15 EDT 2005

>How about adding FD or SKYWARN as
>"Generic Callsigns for National Events"?

Field Day would be an absolute disaster.  MELT DOWN.

I'm beginning to realize for this reason and human
nature, that this idea worked well, when it was obscure
but will be a disaster when fully published everywhere.

Here is my PROPOSED alternative.  That is, we simply
need a universal way to HAVE IN ADVANCE A WEB
PAGE LIST OF ALL CALLS THAT WILL BE ACTIVE for
a certain event.  People can print these out and then
they dont have to call  CQ, but can see if they can
send them an APRS message.  Thats all I was trying to
do, was have an automated way of finding out the
calls of the people out there playing in the same
event.

Here is the NEW PROPOSAL?

1) Someone write a WEB PAGE SERVER that makes
available LISTS of all the calls that are going to
participate in an event.  Prior to the event, people
can go to that web page and download the calls.

2) The WEB page parses all messages on the APRS-IS
to find people wanting to register for the event.

3) To get ON the list, all anyone has to do is send
an APRS message TO one of the NATIONAL
GENERIC Callsigns.  In the body of the message
he lists any details he wants

   MSG: City, state or other comment

3) THe format for the printable WEB page list will be
a separate page for each of the National APRS
callsigns.  On each page will be just a printable
list of calls and their one-line comments.

4) Stations are dropped from the list after 5 days.

Done...

Does someone want to write this page?

de Wb4APR, Bob