[aprssig] APRS Field Events

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Oct 16 17:20:03 EDT 2005

Bob WB4APR wrote on Oct 16 2005

> I wish we could get more participation in this concept
> of universal APRS connectivity for typical groups that
> HAM radio supports. Other callsign ideas I have posted
> in the past  are: SCOUTS, SATERN, KIDS, REDCROSS
> FOUR-H, YOUTH, GUARD, MARS JOTA, ????

Sorry I didn't pick up on it before, but I am now sending traffic
addressed to the destination SCOUTS and JOTA to RF. No reason
they can't stay in there.

> I don't understand why many hams are content
> to listen to the drone of a generator for 12 hours
> next to their operating position...

Take a look at the Honda EU1000i and the EU2000i  generators
and similar. I have the EU2000i model. For starters these generators
are pretty quiet compared to most, but these are "inverter" type
generators. If the load is very light, they will just idle along on
the slow speed setting and will automatically "throttle up" if you
increase the load. Nice clean 60 Hz output from them too. They
can also output 12V directly for charging a battery.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH