[aprssig] Re: UI-View Add-ons

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Oct 14 18:42:00 EDT 2005

n0yxv at gihams.org wrote:

> WISH LIST:
>
> I have an older laptop running Win98 that I use a lot in the car for mobile
> APRS. It would be nice if the installer would give me the option as to what
> Plug-Ins I wanted to add. Some of the Plug-Ins I've tried don't give me the
> option to shut them off until needed. That means that I have had to uninstall
> some of the Plug-Ins to keep my little laptop running.

UIview add-ons are controlled by .XTR files that determine whether they
start automatically with UIview, or terminate automatically when UIview
exits. (Some add-ons can continue to receive data externally, via TCPIP
or AGW, with UIview shut down).   Each add-on has it's own XTR file,
created when the add-on is installed (or run the first time).  XTRs live
in the main UIview program directory and create the list of items-to-run
that show on the "FILE" pulldown within UIview.

In turn, the XTR files can be reviewed and edited via the add-on  "XTR
Control Panel"  available at M0CYP's UI-View add-ons page at:

      http://www.apritch.myby.co.uk/addon_uiviewand32.htm#xtr

Once installed, the XTR Control Panel itself has an XTR that will cause
"XTR Control Panel" to show as an item to run under the UI-View "FILE"
pulldown.  When called up, it produces a list of all the other add-ons
present. For each one, it allows you to check boxes for "Start with
UIview" and "Close with UI-View".    The Control Panel can, at will,
define some addons to start automatically with UIview,  and others to
only run manually on-demand.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:              wa8lmf
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com