[aprssig] PHG and HAAT

Stan Coleman [NØYXV] n0yxv at gihams.org
Fri Oct 14 16:34:10 EDT 2005

Ok I think I've finally figured out the difference. I thought we were talking
about APRS PHG and not FCC HAAT. Since this form is about APRS I just figured
we were talking about APRS. In APRS PHG land you can't and never would have to
enter a negitive number. Seams to me like half of the posters for this subject
have been talking about FCC HAAT and not APRS HAAT. I think Bob's right it's
not designed to be perfect because nothing would be perfect. PHG is only a
rough guess designed to let others know roughly what your range is.

As for using digi's that can hear me as an indicator of PHG (or range) would be
bad in my area as we have a couple of really tall digis in Western Iowa (and
Omaha NE) that can hear me here in Central Nebraska. While there are several
digi's in Nebraska that I simply skip over. Wouldn't work to draw a circle
around my tower large enough to cover Iowa as those are tall enough to hear me
although closer stations can' t. It would also make the back side of my circle
look really out of wack.