UI-View Bashing (was Re: APRS RF DX? (Was RE: [aprssig] APRS in Atlanta - flooding the network))

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Oct 14 12:23:01 EDT 2005

>>> kb8uih at sbcglobal.net 10/13/05 9:47 PM >>>
>I use WinAPRS and the way the information has to be
>entered doesn't even give the user the chance to enter
>exact information to calculate a correct PHG.

PHG is relative.  The difference between 20 and 25' is
insignificant for the purpose of PHG.  Is your
25' a "good" 25 feet?  then make it 40.  Is it a "poor"
25' then make it 20.  The difference is small relative
to someone at 80', 160', 320', 640' etc.  Remember
that you have to basically DOUBLE your height to
make even 1-S-unit difference.