[aprssig] PHG and HAAT

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Fri Oct 14 00:03:01 EDT 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, N0YXV - Stan Coleman wrote:

> I still somewhat of a newbie so help me out here. How can you get a
> negative number for HAAT? Did you dig a hole and put an antenna in it?

Pretty close!

> It would seam to me the lowest HAAT number you could come up with is
> zero. Zero meaning your not gaining anything over the average height of
> the surrounding terrain.

First of all, I'm in a river valley, about 25' uphill from the
water, 156' above MSL.  Second of all I'm in a bowl in the river
valley, so to drive out of here in either of two directions I have
to climb.

The hills around me are on average 450' up in any direction.  Higher
if you go east as I'm in the foothills on the west side of the
Cascade mountains.  Puget Sound is to my west a few miles.

So... My HAAT is -450ft.  I had splat! calculate it for me from USGS
DEM files.  I have a hard time getting out of here on RF.  Not
exactly a ham's dream location, but it's what I call home.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer