UI-View Bashing (was Re: APRS RF DX? (Was RE: [aprssig] APRS in Atlanta - flooding the network))

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Oct 12 15:59:34 EDT 2005

>>> aprs at kd4rdb.com 10/12/05 2:50 PM >>>
>As for UI-View setting the PHG for home users
> (ie advertising your home qth PHG), that's really
>not of much use.

Seeing the PHG on home stations becomes valuable
when the digi dies or is flooded out and you want
to see who's home stations you can digipeat through
to get from point A to B.  Usually when you are in
this kind of circumstance, it does not work well to
then try to ask everyone, "please now enter your PHG
because now I need it, even though I never
really needed it before"...

>Most of the stations we are interested in seeing
>PHG stats are digipeaters, so I don't know if a
>home user transmitting his PHG is really of
>any _value_ to us.

True, but the proper HAM motto for public service
is to "be prepared"...

>I don't know if the plugin does this, but it'd sure be
>slick if a plugin could "connect the dots" and make a
>path suggestion for users.

Actually, as the New-N paradigm becomes fully
implemented, and ALL packets arrive with a fully
traceable path, there will be a LOT more we can
do to facilitate point-to-point and return-path
messaging.

APRSdos and I think a UIview add-on already
will draw a trace line-by-line digi-to-digi on the
map to show how someone's packet gets to you.
See the APRSdos example down about the
middle of this long page:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/aprsdos.html

Bob