[aprssig] APRS in Atlanta

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Wed Oct 12 08:41:41 EDT 2005

At 06:48 AM 10/12/2005 -0500, Steve Slay wrote:
>>"Why would anybody need more hops than what it takes to get to an Igate?"
>
>I guess I didn't make my answer as clear as I thought.
>
>Position reports to RF stations in areas beyond the number of hops it
>takes to get to an Igate.
>
>After all, the "P" in APRS does stand for "Position".

A practical example, sort oflike the OK Skywarn cited earlier:

I am talking to several folks on an extended linked system. (There are two
that cover much of the state of Texas). My buddy is running an APRS Client
in his vehicle, so will only see my posits via RF - his car PC is not
connected to the Internet. So I go more than two hops in this circumstance.

We've also done public safety events that cover 80-100 miles per day
(MS-150 bike ride, Houston to Austin, over 10,000 riders and 200 miles!).
The race managers love knowing where various key assets are. Again, takes
more than two hops.

Motorola Marathon, Austin. Gets by with as I recall, JUST two hops, but has
event-specific digipeaters set up, and is not on 144.39, although some of
the event activity is gated to the APRS-IS. Again, it may go to 3 hops if
needed.. the topography of the event area sometimes "uses up" your hops
with only two, before the packets get to an IGATE or DIGI so the race
managers can have the information needed.