[aprssig] What could I do with these Spread Spectrum data radios?

Scott Johnson - kd5mhm kd5mhm at kd5mhm.org
Wed Oct 12 06:08:50 EDT 2005

Howdy, y'all!
I could use some advice.  I have 8 spread-spectrum data radios that let me
run 9600 full-duplex (and higher up to 38400, but not full-dup).  I'm
seeking suggestions on how I might best use these in my area.  The radios
just deal with whatever comes in/out their serial port.  They have their own
proprietary protocol on the RF side that includes addressing and
error-correction, freq hopping, and spectrum management.  They work great
for pretty long distances and are in the unlicensed 900MHz band.  For more
info, see Microwave Data Systems' website about the MDS9810 radio.

If you reply to me off-list, I will post a summary to the list in a week or
two for peer review.  Don't want to clog up the list since this not about a
specific APRS problem.

Out here in West Texas the 'network' is still pretty clean and clear,
contrary to what I guess the situation must be in congested areas (based
upon the posts about net traffic issues).

I'd like to use them for something really useful, but questions I have
include:
Due to their proprietary nature, are these useless for APRS support in my
area?

Should I look at them for use with Packet and not APRS?

Their modes of operation are geared for Master/Slave 'networking' and/or
repeater ops.  This doesn't seem to me to fit APRS well, but perhaps I'm
missing a great application of these units.  Perhaps because I'm not in a
congested area?  What application am I too blind to see?

I'm also involved with emergency operations here, would I be better off
trying to figure something useful there rather than with APRS?

These seem to be not much more than a "wireless, long serial cable".  Am I
missing some cool application for operating through a remotely located
station? (such as laptop mobile in the car rf-linked to tnc/radio in a fixed
location)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Scott
kd5mhm at kd5mhm.org