[aprssig] Via teams on Linux car PC kit

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Oct 4 14:46:37 EDT 2005

One thing that jumps out at me with these small form-factor PCs is that
they are absolute pigs when it comes to power (90W is a low power
version!)  I want APRS and basic networking, not high end video
entertainment and gaming.

Has anyone played with any low power systems?  I looked at the specs on
this one:

http://www.arcom.com/pc104-xscale-viper.htm

It's pricey at $500 a copy, but power consumption is around 2W.  It's
also noticeably smaller (PC-104 form factor) and has about half a dozen
RS232 ports.  There are some nice industrial type cases to go with it,
too.

Now if I can just manage to stumble across a sackful of money on the
way home...

-Jason
kg4wsv