[aprssig] Mic encoders

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Mon Oct 3 10:23:52 EDT 2005

Now, what I'm waiting for is GNU Radio to mature a bit more.  From what I
saw at DCC, it looks like you should be able to receive and decode packet
data across a large swath of spectrum - possibly the entire 2 meter band,
given enough processing power!

You'd be able to use a frequency-agile transmitter to select from a whole
block of input frequencies, with the frequency and timeslot selected based
on GPS time and callsign to give an even distribution of usage and avoid
collisions.

What I like about this most is that hams aren't generally so good at getting
low-level digi sites to reduce coverage area like the cellular networks do.
We're better at putting together big mountaintop repeater sites.  With a
multi-input scheme, you can vastly increase your network capacity without
having to increase the number if sites.

It'd be even better for Mic-E.  No need to worry about setting up a gateway
for a specific frequency, just make sure you've got a broadband RX site in
range.

Scott
N1VG