[aprssig] Re: Mic encoders

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Oct 2 19:54:15 EDT 2005

scott at opentrac.org wrote:
> I still haven't decided if I want to include connectors so it can be used
> like a Mic-E.  Does anyone still want or use such a beast any more?  Are
> there many Mic-E gateways left?
>
> I may add it just so Search and Rescue users have a nice integrated option,
> but I'd prefer not to have to deal with lots of pinouts and mic connectors.
> I'd likely just set it up with the Kenwood RJ-45 mic pinout.
>
> If there's really a market for it, I'd consider adding the 8-pin circular
> connector and jumper matrix like the Mic-E had.  I just don't want to make
> it more expensive than necessary if not many people want that.

Some random thoughts on these issues.........

1)  Aside from Mic-E operation (which I have a definite interest in, in
connection with my APRN combined SSTV & APRS projects),  having the
Mic-E potential (having passthrough from the mic, through the box to the
radio) is useful.

It makes installation on a single radio that is shared between use on
APRS, and use on a voice channel, a lot simpler, since you don't have
keep plugging and unplugging stuff (i.e. swapping beween tracker and mic
if you DON'T have the mindin-6 connector on your radio.).  Just turn off
power to the the Opentrac when you aren't doing APRS.

[ BTW, I am providing Mic-E gateway service to the 146.700 Sunset Ridge
repeater that overlooks most of the greater L.A. basin.    Lookup findu
for "146.70"  ]

2)  The round 8-pin connectors are a lot easier to wire than RJ-45s ,
especially if you are using round shielded multi-conductor mic cable
instead of the usual unshielded CAT5 LAN cable.  [ Have you ever tried
to corral the multiple soft flexible stranded conductors and shield of a
mic cable into an RJ45 plug to crimp it? ]   If you have a radio with
the RJ-45, one can always cut a short LAN patch cord in half, and solder
the bare ends to an 8-pin plug to make an adapter pigtail,

Adapting in the reverse direction (adapting a  mic with a round plug to
a box with RJ45s)  is much clunkier. First you have to get one of the
hard-to-find INLINE 8-pin mic jacks.  You CAN attach a half lan cable to
it, but the in-line jack, encased in a machined metal cylinder, becomes
a heavy pendulum swinging, swaying and tugging on the RJ45 plug at the
entrance to the encoder.  Not to mention the weird mechanical resonances
that occur between the mass of the jack and the springiness of the curly
mic cord.  Much better to have the 8-pin plugs securely mated to a box's
panel than flopping round in mid-air.

[ I  DO admit, that from your (manufacturing) standpoint, the round
jacks are more work since they usually have to be mounted with a hex nut
to the case with short wire leads then soldered to the PCB, compared to
RJs which can be mounted directly to the PCB.  I suppose you could use
PCB-mount 8-pin jacks on a double sided PCB with with one sticking out
from each side.  The resulting package shape factor would resemble an
iPod with the mic plugged into one face and the cables to the radio and
GPS on the other. ]

3)  I would suggest not having a multitude of pinout configuration
jumpers inside the box.  Make the accommodations for different TX audio,
PTT, DC and common/GND pins (for different radios) outside the box,in
the cable assemblies instead.  This way, you can quickly move the device
among different radio makes and models by changing connecting cables,
rather than by opening the box and fussing with jumpers.   [ I am
envisioning that an organization could have a pre-programmed pool of
these devices with an assortment of cables to instantly mate with
various members Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu radios as needed. ]

However, if you go with the RF45 connectors on the device, the config
jumpers will probably be inescapable because users are going to want to
use standard ready-made straight-through LAN patch cords to connect the
box to the radio.

4)  If the TX audio (tone) level is controlled by hardware rather than
software, place the trimpot on the PCB in a way that it can easily be
turned through a hole in the case without having to open up the box.  (I
suspect that a lot of the wildly over- and under- deviated signals one
hears are due to the difficulty of making TX level adjustments once the
devices are packaged and installed in a mobile.)

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:              wa8lmf
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths