[aprssig] Igateing a Non Amateur

James kb7tbt at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 16:00:54 EDT 2005

Unfortunately Steve this is one of the flaws in WinAPRS, unlike UI-View
there is NO validation code needed to send to a server to be gated to RF.

The registration is all you need, the generator creates the code and the
default name is NITRUS, once you run the program then you can change the
name to your call and it will stay. In fact there is a few crackz websites
that list a code with the NITRUS for the default name.

WinAPRS also uses the registration code to SAVE the settings that you input
into the program, you can still use it without reg codes but every time you
close the program all your stats are erased.

Issuing new passwords will not solve this problem, as soon as a program is
released there is a work around within a few hours if not minutes.
This includes UI-View and WinAPRS and whatever else you can think of.

The validation code is the best way to prevent non hams to be gated, it is
also not perfect but it is a larger wall of defense.

KB7TBT
http://www.qsl.net/kb7tbt
DM33

"Don't forget to listen for the weak ones"  W3IY, Bill Seabreeze, SK.