[aprssig] Igateing a Non Amateur

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Oct 1 14:37:44 EDT 2005

Steve K4HG wrote on Oct 1 2005

> This is important, he has done NOTHING wrong. There is no legal
> requirement that someone connecting to the APRS IS have an amateur
> license... So just to be very clear... NITRUS broke no laws.

He claims to be in Alaska, and gave Clay AA3JY the impression that he was in
Poland. He also claims to be QRV on 145.550 which in most countries is an
amateur frequency. It sounds like someone that has an interest in radio, and
might want to become a properly licensed ham, but isn't yet. There may be in
your opinion nothing wrong with "NITRUS" connecting to the APRS-IS, and
perhaps there are no laws against lying. I would have no interest in
communicating via RF with a non-licensed operator. I would encourage
"NITRUS" to study and get his ticket and he will find that hams all over the
world are willing to give him a hand. In spite of your insistence that
"NITRUS" broke no laws, he will find himself a lot more welcome if he
becomes a ham.

It probably wouldn't happen, but what would your opinion be on the situation
if there were thousands of "NITRUS's" connecting to the APRS-IS? Or showing
up on 144.390? Or your favourite HF frequency?

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH