[aprssig] Re: APRS Standard Connectors?

Neil Johnson Neil.Johnson at erudicon.com
Wed Nov 30 20:47:21 EST 2005

Be careful about feeding power through the DB-9 connectors.

I had a radio that provided +12V on it's accessory connector. I fed it
through my TT3 to power my GPS.

I was programming the TT3 using the radio to power it. When I went to
plug back in the cable that went to the GPS, I blew a fuse in the radio.

I had managed to short two pins on the male DB-9 with the outer shield
of the female DB-9 connector. I know I should have powered everything
off before reconnecting the GPS, but it would have happened sooner or
later since the TT3 case doesn't have room to put screws and nuts on the
DB-9 connectors and the GPS cable falls off a lot.

Unfortunately, the fuse is soldered to a PCB inside the radio, so I will
have to find the right part and re-solder it. Fortunately it didn't fry
the GPS. I haven't had time to test the TT3, but I worried it is fried too.

I guess I wouldn't recommend the DB-9 as a standard connector.

--
Neil Johnson