[aprssig] Xastir install issues

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Wed Nov 30 01:52:10 EST 2005

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Dave Baxter wrote:

> If there is (as I suspect) no viable version of Xastir for any Windows
> version, please remove all refernece to Windows in the Xastir Source
> Forge pages!..

Click on "Home Page" there, which will take you to
    <http://www.xastir.org>

There, click on Binary Downloads.  Go to the Windows section.  There
should be links to a couple of the available ways to get it going on
Windows.

On the <http://www.xastir.org> page is a link to the README.win32
document, which is the method I orginally documented to do the
install, and involves installing all of the development tools,
snagging Xastir sources from CVS, and compiling from sources.  If
you follow this method you'll end up with a system that is
infinitely updateable with the minimum of hassle to the
latest-latest Xastir version, five hours or less behind whatever the
developers have committed to CVS.  You might learn some things along
the way, or help the project by sending helpful suggestions as to
how to improve the document as you go through it.

You can see how much bandwidth this has taken up on the APRSSIG
today.  I usually try to push this stuff over to the Xastir SIG as
quickly as possible so as not to bore Windows people with all this
tech-talk.  By posting questions on the Xastir SIG you get the
widest possible group of tech people reading/responding to it.  It
benefits everybody that way.

For some-odd reason some people wanted to continue this thread here.
Consider subscribing to the Xastir SIG and we'll try to help you
work through your install problems.  All of this client-specific
stuff doesn't belong on the general APRSSIG.  The higher
signal-to-noise ratio just frightens people here.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer