[aprssig] APRS Standard Connectors?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Nov 29 17:52:50 EST 2005

> I don't like the 2.5 and 3.5 mm plugs and jacks. The jacks loosen up far
> too easily and thus cause the whole connection to become unreliable. It

I agree... they're no good for high reliability stuff.  Plus, they tend to
short things while you're plugging and unplugging, so you have to be careful
how you assign pins.

D sub connectors (like DB9s) have the advantage of being cheap, readily
available, and reliable.  They're good enough for spacecraft wiring
harnesses, and if properly made they'll take a lot of abuse.  The stuff I
saw dredged up from the bottom of Kwajalein Lagoon (which would have been
very briefly spacecraft parts) didn't look so hot, though.  =]

> I think I saw a recommendation somewhere for a specific powerpole color
> for 5V use. I guess in practice that could be hazardous for equipment if

And they're available in several colors.  You could conceivable make a stack
with all of the required signals using powerpoles, but it'd be a little
bulky.

Scott, N1VG
http://n1vg.net/opentracker