[aprssig] sunroof antenna?

Jay Bareman Radio_Q at mchsi.com
Mon Nov 28 12:33:29 EST 2005

I would suspect the material they use to provide a sun shield might
seriously affect the rf coupling mechanism.  The Chevrolet Tahoe uses a
metalized material in making their 'privacy' tinted glass for the side
windows.  It tells you in the owners manual you cannot put a 'through the
glass' antenna on the windows.  I suspect they use the same material in the
sun roofs to cut the sun intensity down.

A test might be to take your GPS and get a fix with the sunroof retracted.
Then slide the sunroof closed and see what happens to your GPS signal.  That
would tell you if you had a metalized material being used to provide the
window tinting.

Good Luck

Jim  K5QQ

  _____