[aprssig] timeslotting on HF ? was > 15. APRS trackers on10m (Robert Bruninga)

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 10:30:11 EST 2005

Certainly keeps to the KISS principle...

The last 4 minutes could be carved up between ongoing emergency traffic,
weather, system announcements, and ????   "Ongoing" emergency traffic,
being anything but the first emergency "Call"...

You could distribute the 4 "spare" minutes arround the hour, every 15
for instance, would probably be better for weather and emergency stuff?

As you say, and perhaps with a little "guard band" of perhaps say +-2.5S
at each minute boundary (5 second total) it should be easy to syncronize
manualy, or with very simple (embedded) software, perhaps even by
monitoring ongoing traffic, and reverse coding from the callsign's
heard..  Getting not so simple now, but.....

If you make the guard band larger (10 sec total?) that's plenty of time
for a genuine emergency shout, to be heard mostly in the clear, and able
to repeat every minute, until an ACK of some sort is returned, perhaps
by an I-Gate?

What's needed is an idiot proof way of synchronising to a universal time
source, GPS, Internet, WWV, Rugby etc or whatever?

Dave G0WBX.