[aprssig] Re: aprssig Digest, Vol 17, Issue 29

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sun Nov 27 14:03:55 EST 2005

Wolf Hoeller wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 27. November 2005 19:00 schrieb aprssig-request at lists.tapr.org:
>>Why send SMS when you can do GPRS direct to APRS-IS ?

> Can you tell us more, what you mean?

Install an APRS tracker software into the phone and have it send your
position using GPRS direct to APRS-IS. Position could have been got via
a bluetooth gps or manual entry or whatever.

I see that SMS could in certain cases be better than GPRS, for example
when keying in a manual position or message without any special APRS
software in the phone. But for a more automated/advanced systems, GPRS
seems to me to be more cost-efficient and flexible. At least here in
Finland, where SMSes are quite expensive, around 10 cents per SMS.

   Tapio