[aprssig] APRS on 6m

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Nov 23 17:41:49 EST 2005

pagreen at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>   Is this being done?  Is there an APRS channel on 6m?  I think that
> running mobile on 6m would be better than 2m?  Is the noise too high
> on this band?
>
> 73 de Pat --- KA9SCF.

Actually the noise level IS greater on 6M than on 2.  Many automotive
ignition systems and computer electronics systems have peak noise output
in the 25-50MHz region.   [Many earlier generations of commercial
Motorola radios had actual IF noise blankers in the low-band (30-50 MHz)
versions but not in the VHF or UHF versions because of the much higher
noise level at low band. ]

Added to this is the difficulty of mounting any antenna larger than a
1/4-wave unity-gain whip on a vehicle on this band; i.e. the  classic
splitball-and-spring  fender-mounted 4.5-foot whips of old highway
patrol cars.

On the other hand, the multipath-induced mobile  flutter and fade on
this band is much less than on higher bands, and seems to damage data
less frequently.

I suppose that if you run a dumb tracker and don't care about RECEIVING
in the noisy mobile environment, 6M would work quite well.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths

Updated APRS Symbol Chart